I have been following the postings of Lubos Motl about Higgs (here is one example). It seems that Lubos has developed a real complex from Higgs. He has written posting after posting trying to convince the reader that the new spinless particle cannot be but Higgs. "Why Higgs had to be discovered" was the title of one posting. "Idiot" belongs to the vocabulary used about those who think differently.
I wonder why Lubos does he have this fix idee, one of many other extremist beliefs, many of them irrational. Is this related to assimilation with existing theory or with establishment? Lubos lived his childhood in a totalitarian society. Did he somehow inherit the strong tendency to totalitarian thinking in which arguments are justified by names? To me Lubos in many respects looks like a mirror image of a fanatic communist from Soviet Union.
As a theoretical physicist Lubos should be able to see that Higgs is just one explanation, and that one never can prove that Higgs exist, only its non-existence. At best its presence allows to explain the data but there are alternative explanations. Standard model Higgs seems to be even excluded already now if data are taken at face value. Here most of the bloggers follow text book thinking and neglect the data: Phil Gibbs is a refreshing exception in this respect.
How dangerous the Lubosian thinking is for theoretical physicist himself is, can be demonstrated by simple example.
- Suppose - in accordance with string models and TGD - that higher-dimensional space-time exists in some sense as the arena of dynamics.
- Suppose that baryon and lepton numbers are conserved separately and correspond to different chiralities of the spinors of higher-D space: there is indeed not a single proton decay to prove that this is not the case. One can also consider giving up the separate conservation but keeping the identification of quarks and leptons.
- Suppose first that Higgs is scalar in this higher-dimensional space. With these assumptions the only conclusion is that Higgs decays to lepton-quark pairs and that the theory does not conserve baryon and lepton numbers separately. This is a contradiction with basic assumptions and also conflicts the existing data for the spin 0 boson.
- One could alternatively argue that Higgs is actually a vector in higher-D space having components only in "internal degrees of freedom". This would fix the dimension of internal space to D=4 and imbedding space would be 8-dimensional. In this case it becomes however very difficult to imagine how gauge bosons could "eat" the components of Higgs.
In TGD framework problem disappears in zero energy ontology.
- Higgs is not needed and p-adic thermodynamics describes particle massivation. A very important and testable outcome is that it is longitudinal mass squared which obeys p-adic thermodynamics: total mass squared vanishes and al particles are massless at basic level. This implies twistorial picture and Yangian symmetry and absence of IR and UV divergences since virtual particles are on mass shell massless particles with propagator defined by longitudinal momentum.
- But what about Lorentz invariance? Since causal diamonds characterized by longitudinal sub-space M^2 have Lorentz boosts as moduli, Lorentz invariance is not broken and one obtains a nice connection with the basic picture of QCD involving parton distributions depending on longitudinal momenta.
Lubos should be also able to see that Higgs is just a phenomenological description and that there must be a real microscopic theory behind Higgs in the case that it is needed. p-Adic thermodynamics is my proposal.