Also Lubos has commented the findings of HIV Nobelist Montagnier's group and the comments of Lubos reflect excellently the distinction between the theoretician of second kind and good experimentalist. Good experimentalist is ready to accept the reality and this is why discoveries are possible. The theoretician of second kind "knows" before hand what is possible and what is not and tells it aloud and authoritatively. Ironically, Lubos is ready to accept M-theory as the only possible theory of everything despite the fact that there is not a single thread of empirical evidence supporting it but refuses to consider the possibility that biology would be something more than just complex chemistry. Our luck is that there are also theoreticians who are ready to consider the possibility that they do not yet know everything.
Montagnier's work gives support for water memory in terms of representations of some molecules in terms of water molecules or some nano-structures present in water treated in the same manner as the homeopathic remedies are made. What is really amazing is that the representations seem also to realize genetic code. The experimental arrangement stimulates several questions which I try to answer in the framework of TGD inspired model of biology.
- The presence of 7 Hz magnetically induced oscillation seems to be necessary for the presence of the effect. What is the role of this radiation whose frequency is not far from the lowest Schumann resonance frequency with nominal value of 7.83 Hz. Recall that this frequency is in the lowest approximation determined by the radius of Earth of alone. The wave length of 7 Hz photons is slightly larger than the circumference of Earth. Could it be that a temporal pattern associated with a single period of 7 Hz oscillation could code for DNA codons. The energies involved are of course ridiculously small as compared to the thermal energy at room temperature and quantal effects are exclued in standard quantum theory.
- How water could represent some biologically relevant aspects of molecules? For what kind of molecules this representation does exist? What are the roles of mechanical agitation and dilution in the generation of water memory? Does the 7 Hz frequency near the lowest Schumann resonance frequency relate to this somehow?
- How water and electromagnetic radiation could represent genetic code?
TGD helps to imagine possible answers to these questions. The identification of dark matter as a hierarchy of phases with large Planck constant and the notion of magnetic body (see for instance this - both deriving naturally from basic quantum TGD- are the key notions.
- The basic vision is that magnetic body communicates with biological body and controls it by using a generalized variant of EEG consisting of fractal hierarchy of dark photons corresponding to a hierarchy of values of Planck constant (see this) E=hf with large Planck constant implying that even ELF photons can have thermal energies above thermal energy. This is the essential element in the model for the effects of ELF frequencies on vertebrate brain. The transformation of dark photon to a bunch of ELF photons or single high energy photon would be basic mechanisms transforming dark photons to ordinary ones. Biophotons would be dark photons transformed to single dark photon. EEG would represent outcome consting of a bunch of ELF photons.
- TGD suggests that dark DNA, RNA,... and even dark aminoacids could have a key role in biological evolution providing kind of virtual world realization of biomolecules. This would make possible controlled evolution analogous to the research and development carried out in industry (see this). This is in conflict with the vision of standard biology according to which the planning of travel phone would be a process in which one throws some random collection of electronic components to a hat and looks whether a travel phone emerges from the hat after sufficiently long waiting period.
Biological R&D would require that transcription and translation process have dark counterparts. Also the transcription of dark DNA to ordinary DNA and vice versa and even more general processes should be possible. If the water containing ordinary DNA contains its dark variant able by its darkness to leak through the filters used in the experimental situation studied by Montagnier and collaborators, the dark DNA could be able to cheat the polymerase protein so that it interprets dark DNA as a genuine DNA template and starts to generate ordinary DNA. If the magnetic flux tubes coding for DNA are all that is relevant for this, this mechanism would not depend whether the ends of flux tubes contain real or dark DNA.
- The dark magnetic flux tubes connecting bio-molecules make it possible for them to recognize and find each other in the dense soup of biomolecules. The reduction of Planck constant for the flux tube brings the bio-molecules near to each other so that catalytic reaction becomes possible. The reconnection process for flux tubes is also in an essential role and involved with ADP-ATP process and would provide elegant realization of codes.
TGD suggest several non-standard representations of the genetic code.
- Temporal patterns of electromagnetic radiation with some carrier frequency is one possibility. Gariaev's work suggests that temporal patterns of polarization directions of radiation could code for DNA sequences with each nucleotide corresponding to a definite change of polarization direction (see the discussion in here). This would mean a hierarchy of realizations of the code corresponding to different frequency scales with period of radiation defining the duration of the code word.
- The TGD inspired model for DNA as topological quantum computer suggests a realization of codons in terms of u, and d quarks and their antiquarks at the ends of magnetic flux tubes connecting DNA nucleotides to lipids of nuclear or cellular membranes. TGD indeed predicts the possibility of several fractally scaled up copies of hadron physics with different mass scales and also dark variants of ordinary hadron physics with the Compton lengths of quarks scaled up while keeping mass scales the same. Entire fractal hierarchy of representations corresponding to carrier frequencies of dark photons could be realized.
- One of the most amazing predictions of TGD comes from the model of dark nucleons. The states of dark nucleons are in 1-1 correspondence with DNA, RNA, tRNA, and aminocids and vertebrate genetic code is realized naturally as dark nuclear strings analogous to ordinary nuclei which are also nuclear strings in TGD based model of nuclei. The representation could be based on triplets of magnetic flux tubes with quarks at ends correlating with the genetic code words defined by the states of dark nuclei just like the representation of DNA in DNA as tqc model. A natural guess would be that the size scale of dark nucleon is same as the size scale of single DNA triplet.
7 Hz is near the frequency of the lowest Schumann resonance representing collective oscillation of the Earth's magnetic field and one can wonder about its role in the experiment of Montagnier and collaborators.
- 7 Hz need not provide a representation for genetic code although it could do so. A possible role is as the provider of bio-rhythm and as a possible source of energy in the case that dark photons with energy above thermal energy are in question. TGD inspired theory of consciousness predicts what I call self hierarchy and one can speak about gene expression at the level of organism and even population. Schumann resonance would naturally couple with living matter and couple the magnetic bodies of living systems to the magnetic body of Earth- magnetic Mother Gaia one might say. Flux tubes within flux tubes would be simplest representation for the coupling making possible frequency modulation and also amplitude modulation. Frequency modulation is especially interesting and the song of whales provides a possible concrete example of underlying frequency modulation. The model for hologram generating properties of DNA suggests that the dark photons assignable to 7 Hz radiation pump energy to build up hologrammic representations of DNA.
- Cyclotron resonances for ions in the Earth's magnetic field are in 1-100 Hz range and it has been known from seventies that electromagnetic fields in this frequency range have effects of vertebrate brain. These effects look very quantal and correspond to cyclotron frequencies which is .2 Gauss- 2/5 of the nominal value of the Earth's magnetic field. Also the authors of Montagnier article suggest that cyclotron resonances of ions are involved and in TGD inspired model for living body in terms of magnetic bodies cyclotron resonances are in a key role. Cyclotron frequencies could provide a coupling of biologically important ions to Schumann resonance if the flux tubes involved can vary their thickness so that the strength of magnetic field varies by flux conservation.
- VLF frequencies above kHz seem to take this role in water memory. The wave lengths and corresponding layers of magnetic bodies are still enormous as compared to that of DNA.
The TGD inspred mode a model for how how water could represent at least some aspects of at least some molecules is based on earlier ideas (see this) plus some ideas inspired by the findings of Montagnier's group and by the role of ordered water in the self-organization of biomolecules.
- The basic idea is that the magnetic body of the molecules represents biologically relevant aspects of molecule in the sense that the cyclotron radiations generated by the magnetic body is responsible for biological control and also receives signals from part of organism in some length and time scales. The mechanical agitation of water involves in the process generating water memories implies that the magnetic bodies of some molecules just drop to water. This is enough for the mimicry of the biomolecules by water.
- Water interacts strongly with polar (hydrophilic) molecules so that the polarity of the molecules in question is expected to be very relevant for the process. Polar molecules are covered by a hydrogen bonded layer of ordered water molecules analogs to ice covering. This molecular ice freezes various biomolecules to standard configuration and the feed of energy freezes the ice cover so that processes like protein folding and formation of their aggregates which is central element in the reaction of living matter to external perturbations becomes possible. The natural idea is that the polar molecules having hydrogen bonds with water layer dictate to high degree the structure of the magnetic body.
- The mechanical agitation of water could feed the energy needed to induce the splitting of the hydrogen bonds of a polar molecule so that the ice coating to which the magnetic body of the molecule would drop out. The process would be similar to the reaction of biomolecule to external influence. This magnetic body would represent the molecule in terms of cyclotron frequencies and behave as a real molecule as far as the effects caused by cyclotron frequencies are considered. Basically a symbolic representation of the biomolecule would be in question.
This mechanism is obviously very general and the prediction is that water remembers the presence of molecules with polar regions and do not distinguish between molecules with different non-polar regions. These non-polar regions are hydrophobic and tend to be shielded from water. Protein folding is one example of this shielding.
How the magnetic bodies could represent genetic code?
The intriguing finding that about 1/4 of hydrogen atoms of water behave effectively like dark matter in attosecond time scale was one of the first findings motivating the development of ideas about dark matter as large hbar phases and is also of crucial importance for the model of water memory. The TGD based explanation is that dark hydrogen atoms correspond to dark protons with Compton size of order atom size at least. The varying fraction of this phase would explain the large number of anomalies related to the thermodynamics of water.
The proposal is that the splitting of hydrogen bond transforms the hydrogen or at least the proton of hydrogen to a dark nucleon. The states of dark nucleons would correspond to multiplets assignable to DNA, RNA, tRNA, and aminocids. If the state of dark nucleon corresponds to the quark assignable to the end of magnetic flux tube one has a representation of the genetic code in terms of dark nuclear string consisting of protons glued to form (TGD indeed leads to a model of nuclei as nucleon sequencies connected by color magnetic bonds).
How transcription and translation type processes could be realized for dark DNA and how dark DNA and DNA could transform to each other?
Reconnection of magnetic flux tubes allows to imagine a very simple model for how DNA is coded to dark DNA and vice versa. As a matter fact, the process applies to very general class of processes defining a pairing of biomolecules. All that is needed is that the quark pair at the ends of the flux tube to some degree dictates which molecules can form. One can actually imagine a generalization of the genetic code applying to much more general molecules than molecules involved with the genetic code if this mechanism involves dark nucleons at the ends of the magnetic flux tubes involves.
- Assume that the nucleotides of dark DNA and conjugate molecules are connected by flux tubes having quark and antiquark at their ends that u, d and their antiquarks correspond in one-one manner to DNA nucleotides so that coding results. Suppose that similar coding takes place for dark DNA in the sense that dark DNA code work is connected by three flux tubes to its conjugate for corresponding dark aminoacid. Assume that both dark and ordinary DNA nucleotides can be be connected to their conjugates by relatively long flux tubes (large hbar) and that they can be also accompanied by short-circuited flux loops. Assume again that genetic code mapping codons to quarks is realized. Similar short circuited closed flux loops could be possible for aminoacids and RNA.
- Assume that a reconnection for long flux tube connecting nucleotides and their conjugates and for nucleotide flux loop is possible if corresponding quarks are same so that the assignement realizes genetic code. For instance, a reconnection in the middle of flux tubes connecting dark DNA and its conjugate would generate an ordinary DNA sequence. If this sequence binds to DNA strand and if the reverse of the reconnection process occurs after that, dark DNA sequence becomes coded ordinary DNA sequence. Obviously much more general processes of this kind are possible and are relatively independent of what is at the ends of the flux tubes so that genetic coded would permeate whole biology and determined selection rules of reaction involving all kinds of polar molecules.
I have discussed these questions also in the chapter Homeopathy in Many-sheeted Space-time of the book Biosystems as Conscious Holograms. The following discussion involves new ideas inspired by the findings of Montagnier's group.
The role of dilutions in the generation of water memories looks like a mystery and provides strongest weapon for a simple-minded sketic and one can make only guesses in this respect. The situation does not distinguish between DNA and other molecules which water is able to represent. All these molecules could correspond to dark molecules resulting when the hydrogen bonds connecting polar molecule to its water coating split if above ideas are on a right track. Consider now the questions.
- Is the dilution necessary in order that the magnetic flux tubes of the molecular magnetic expected to have size of order 100 nm in the solution do not overlap? This would mean that the density of dark DNA in the experiments of Montagnier would be rather low in the experimental situation, maybe something like 1 DNA sequence per volume of cell nucleus. Can so low density explain the effects of polymerase in the experiment of Montagnier's team? Could the critical dilution be the dilution above which the 7 Hz radiation is able to serve as a metabolic resource?
- Could it be that the density of dark molecules is actually much higher than the dilution would suggest? This would require replication of dark molecules, which is indeed quite conceivable if dark molecules define a life form preceiding ordinary DNA. The mechanical agitation could provide the metabolic energy for the dark molecules. Dark molecules could also be part of time in lethargic state and wake up only when energy is feeded and replicate just as biomolecules are ice-covered and wake up only when external perturbation feeds energy and induces self-organization. But why would be critical dilution required? Why the density of ordinary molecules must be so small? This is difficult to understand.
- Is it the number of dilutions and agitations which matters rather than the density of the ordinary molecules in the final situation? Could the sequence of dilutions induce an evolutionary process analogous to a sequence of environmental catastrophes posing evolutionary pressures and leading to rapid evolution of dark DNA variant able to replicate and survive? Could each mechanical agitation induce quantum phase transitions increasing the value of Planck constant for the flux tubes inducing evolutionary leps and increasing the size scle of the corresponding magnetic body? Could the associated feed of metabolic energy also induce a replication of the dark molecules so that one would have a population with a density much higher than that of the ordinary molecules in the final situation? Whether the number of agitation-dilution processes matters instead of final density of molecules could be tested by using different initial values for the density.
- Could the limiting wave length correspond to 7 Hz cyclotron frequency for some relevant ion and therefore also to an evolutionary step making possible to couple to magnetic Mother Gaia. The condition that the frequency corresponds to energy above thermal energy at room temperature would require hbar/hbar0 ==r ≈ 1011. The number of the dilutions should be so high that the molecular evolution reaches this level. As a matter fact, the work of Cyril Smith [Smith] with water memory suggests that r= 2× 1011 is very special in the sense that a transformation for low frequency photons to high frequency photons with fh/fl= 2× 1011 seems to be involved with water memory. Does the maximal value of hbar for the flux tubes correlate with the dilution factor or the number of dilutions inducing 10-fold reduction of density each? Does 10-fold reduction of density correspond to reduction factor which still allows the population to fill the sample completely for a reasonable amount of mechanical agitation?
- Cyclotron radiation of dark photons from the magnetic body of dark DNA transforming to ordinary VLF photons serves as a signature for its presence. In the abstract of their article Montagnier group reports following.
Electromagnetic signals of low frequency have been shown to be durably produced in aqueous dilutions of the Human Imunodeficiency Virus DNA. In vivo, HIV DNA signals are detected only in patients previously treated by antiretroviral therapy and having no detectable viral RNA copies in their blood. We suggest that the treatment of AIDS patients pushes the virus towards a new mode of replication implying only DNA, thus forming a reservoir insensitive to retroviral inhibitors. Implications for new approaches aimed at eradicating HIV infection are discussed.
"New mode of replication" would correspond in TGD framework to replication of magnetic bodies of DNA representing genes as dark nucleon sequences and would allow HIV DNA to survive despite the treatment.
I am however an optimist: a real understanding what makes HIV so resistant to ordinary treatments making possible to develop better cures of it could force even skeptics to accept the facts.
[Smith] C. Smith (2001),Learning From Water, A Possible Quantum Computing Medium. Talk in CASYS'2001, 5th international conference on Computing Anticipating Systems held in Liege, Belgium, August 13-18. Abstract book published by Chaos.
For a more organized summary of TGD based model for the findings of Montagnier's team see the article DNA Waves and Water at my homepage.