First some facts about DMT.
- DMT is found in both plants and animals and is the only naturally occurring psychedelic. Its occurrence in the pineal gland of rodents and therefore also of mammals has been reported.
- Chemically DMT is a structural analog of serotonin and melatonin and involves aromatic 6-cycle and 5-cycle with common edge appearing in amino-acid tryptophan. Also DNA nucleotides A and G have this double cycle structure but have however more than one nitrogen atom.
- The biosynthesis of DMT from amino-acid L-tryptophan (occurring endogenously in plants but not in animals) has been detected in rabbit's lungs. Whether DMT is produced by brain is still an unsettled question. It has been even argued that DMT is mere waste.
In TGD framework aromatic cycles serve as indication that molecule contains paired valence electrons with the value of heff/h=n higher than its standard value: this explains the delocalization of electrons to longer than atomic length scale. n would serve as a kind of intelligence quotient: the larger the value of n is, the larger the maximal value of entanglement negentropy of the system is (understanding of this statement requires going outside the framework of the mathematical framework of standard physics: I call this framework adelic physics).
In this picture the interpretation as a waste does not look sensible and the proposal that DMT is produced by brain or some other parts of body looks more reasonable. Biology does not usually manufacture anything without purpose. Especially so, if the manufacturing process requires metabolic energy. The biosynthesis of DMT from tryptophan does not occur spontaneously and requires N-methyltransferase enzyme as a catalyst. Also the highly non-trivial positive effects of DMT on consciousness suggests that it cannot be waste.
- TGD view about sensory perception relies on the idea that sensory qualia are at the level of sensory organs: this view makes sense if one accepts macroscopic quantum coherence (see this). TGD based view about time (zero energy ontology (ZEO)) allow to circumvent basic objections such as phantom leg: pain in phantom leg would be sensory memory of pain and in geometric past when the leg still existed. These sensory memories can be produced by stimulating parietal lobes in any subject person. One also avoids the challenge of explaining why structures consisting of essentially identical neutrons can produce so different sensory qualia.
- This model however requires virtual visual feedback from brain realized as dark photons, which leak to ordinary photons identifiable as biophotons with energied in visible and UV range. The presence of virtual visual input could explain why the retina has inverted structure not expected in engineerish thinking.
Sensory percept would be an artwork created by the perceiver. This conforms with the fact that when congenitally blind people receive their vision, they report only seeing of diffuse light. The percept would be a standardized sensory mental images emerging as an outcome of iteration in which dark photons signals travel forth and back and give rise to a pattern recognition by transforming sensory input to standardized input nearest to it.
- Dark photon signals would travel along magnetic flux tubes between brain to sensory organs and even between brain and magnetic body (MB) in much longer scales. Flux tubes would gives rise to a connection network analogous to a telephone network. This network would have permanent part and dynamical part consisting of switches allowing to connect two flux tubes to single flux tube by a short bridge. Information molecules such as neurotransmitters, hormones, and messengers could act as switches/bridges: as the information molecule attaches to a receptor, the bridge is formed and signals can propagate.
Also nerve pulses could induce flux tube bridges between neurons of the neuronal pathway by using neurotransmitters and learning as amplification of synaptic connections would be essentially the gradual stabilization of these flux tube bridges. Nerve pulse patterns need not serve as communications inside brain but could only make possible communications in much shorter time scales using dark photons. For 1 meter long axons about million forth and back signals are possible during millisecond.
Nerve pulses would however frequency modulate Josephson radiation from the generalized Josephson junctions defined by membrane proteins serving as ion channels. This modulation would code nerve pulse patterns to signals to MB mediated by EEG: EEG could also have fractally scaled variants corresponding to various layers of MB. This would explain the function of EEG.
- Virtual sensory input need not always end up down to the sensory organs: there would be some kind of blocking stopping the virtual sensory input to higher level so that one would have only almost sensory percept: an imagined sensory experience. The virtual sensory input associated with imagination could proceed along different route than that associated with the buildup of percept. Also imagined motor actions would be halted motor actions. During REM sleep the blocking would not be present and the virtual sensory input would enter to sensory organs, in particular retina.
- Pineal gland represents a kind of photoreceptor, "third eye", which still serves as eye in some animals. Could the dark photons involved with imagination be received in pineal gland. Could they continue to travel to sensory organs during dreams and hallucinations? Pineal gland would be an organ of imagination besides serving as seat of soul! What is nice from the point of view of biological economy is that pineal gland would not be useless evolutionary remnant but would have found a new function.
- DMT molecules could make possible REM dreams by providing the bridges making possible the propagation of dark photons to the retina. Pineal gland would be the natural relay station. Same mechanism could work for other sensory modalities if dark photons mediate the virtual sensory input transformed to ordinary percept at sensory organs. Also hallucinations would rely on this mechanism.
- MB has very large layers, there is even evidence that galactic magnetic field is in contact with personal MB (personal MB could have flux tubes inside flux tubes of galactic magnetic field). Since magnetic field in Maxwellian world extends to infinity and since in TGD systems have field identity (field body/MB), one can even image that there are connections to distant civilizations with very weak magnetic field strengths at corresponding flux tubes carrying dark matter.
These connections could make possible a genuine sharing of sensory experiences and the encounters with ETs and alike could be genuine remote meetings! We might have these encounters during sleep quite routinely but would not remember anything since the sensory information would stop at the third eye! Only during dreams situation might change but also now sensory input would be virtual and represent imaginations.
For a summary of earlier postings see Latest progress in TGD.